Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Mobile Learning: The Next Evolution of Education?

Over the past decade, mobile computing and communications devices have become essential tools in higher education and business environments. It is now routine for business travelers and educators to carry laptop computers, cell phones, and PDAs that allow them to access data and information from anywhere—whether in a conference room, classroom, or while on the move.

According to Wagner (2005), the mobile revolution is here. “Wherever one looks, evidence of mobile penetration is irrefutable: cell phones, PDAs (personal digital assistants), MP3 players, portable game devices, handhelds, tablets, and laptops abound. No demographic is immune from this phenomenon. From toddlers to seniors, people are increasingly connected and are digitally communicating with each other in ways that would have been impossible only a few years ago.” (page 42)

Consequently, it comes as no surprise that sooner or later people would begin to look for ways to integrate mobile computing with e-learning. So, what can you learn from a cell phone? Almost anything!

Let’s take the Mobile Learning Survey.

Click here to view the survey results.

29 comments:

  1. How ready are you for mobile lerning? How ready are your students? Your children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm as ready as any other "Digital Immigrant", with similiar complaints, keyboard and screen too small. Now, WiFi laptop mobile learning is more of my cup of tea. As far as my students and children are concerned, well they're "Digital Natives", therefore better equipted to handle the challenges of "small screens and key pads"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that we (both myself and my students) are ready for mobile learning. We lack the technology and the students lack the skills. Our district just recently got a single computer per classroom and we still do not use an online gradebook. My students are just now learning computer skills and mobile learning would not be the right choice for them at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I've been involved in courses via distance learning, I've become much more ready for mobile learning than before. I recently purchased a laptop with wireless capability, and I'm truly enjoying the fact that I am free to move about with only the range of the wireless network to limit me.

    Just today, I purchased a new cell phone that is internet capable. I haven't used that feature yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

    As for my students, they are totally digital learners. They are immersed in the digital world, and because of this the way they learn has changed.

    My children are also digital kids. In our house, we have two desktops, two laptops, three internet-capable cell phones, two PDAs, and two gameboys, so we are definitely a technically oriented family. We still get out and play soccer, volleyball, etcetera, but my kids expect to have instant access to digital media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that I'm ready for mobile learning and whatever I don't know already I'll pickup in a jiffy! As for students - I'm sure most are already experts in this field and for those who aren't, well they'll pick up quickly too, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're not ready, get out of the way. The digital natives are running wild and will soon out number the immigrants.

    Hmm. I was 11 when I got my first computer, a Commodore VIC 20. Am I a native or immigrant?

    Anyway, I am trying to stay in touch with mobile learning, but the field is changing daily. I can't wait to see what Macromedia (uh, now Adobe) is going to do next.

    How can you not love the fact that technology allows you to say Pluto is a planet at 8:00 a.m., but no longer a planet by lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the 2005 Blackboard User Group, Blackboard and Agilix announced a partnership to deliver an offline, mobile learning solution for students and instructors at universities and colleges that use the Blackboard Academic Suite. The result is Blackboard Backpack™.

    Click here to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that I am ready for mobile learning. However, I tend to favor my lap top. I usually take me forever to send a text message because I have problems with the keyboard on the cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ready - even though I fear Blackberry thumb! I don't have children (yet), but I'm guessing they will be pretty ready if the world keeps evolving the way it does. the students I work with here at UTA freak out over WebCT problems, so I don't know if they are ready for mobile learning yet! In colleges, we haven't quite seen a total turn around from digital imigrants to digital natives. Natives will be more comfortable with mobile computing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I consider myself to be ready for mobile learning. I am a geek at heart when it comes to gadgets. I have tried various types of devices to accomplish various tasks. I'll sleep with my laptop next to me in bed, and sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night and just start reading about what interests me or checking my email.

    I think that students are always able to use any electronic device. The application of any mobile device to education is a different story. Technology has to be incorporated into the school curriculum to expose students to its great use. I believe that students need that jump start in order to start customizing the use of mobile equipment into their own learning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the words of SpongeBob, "I'M READY! I'm ready! I'm ready, ready, ready, ready, readyyyyyy!!" In fact, I'm MORE ready for mobile technology than the industry can seem to keep up with. That in NO way makes me an expert by any means, quite the contrary. But, I know what I like, and I know what I'd like to be able ot accomplish, but am often perplexed at how to get from point A to point M.

    For example: I think iPods are great...but those WIRED earbuds, ugh! And wireless headsets are so big and clunky... why not have little wireless insertable earbuds just like those used by the FBI? But instead of receiving voice transmission, why not digital audio/MP3's etc.? I would love to have my own little private soundtrack running in one ear so I could use the other to listen for when my daughter needs help w/ something AND wireless so I can do my chores and other activities w/o those troublesome wires. I have ADHD and don't always pay attention to physical space and can't tell you how many times I've nearly snapped my head right off at the neck from jumping up when the laundry buzzer goes off and I forgot I'm still connect to my computer via my USB headset. Likewise, w/ a personal MP3 device, I just feel so "bound" or tangled, and no I don't feel like running the wires down the back of my shirt. "Why not just play the stereo, for Pete's sake!?!", you may be asking...because blasting Beastie Boys :-) when I need a boost to help my workload along doesn't provide an optimal homeschool environment conducive to learning for my similarly ADHD-afflicted 7 year old, who by the way, is also fairly skilled w/ technological matters and a user of wireless as well.

    I have considered bluetooth and using the ear-piece, albeit still clunky by my standards, for music reception, but that may or may not actually work. I was hoping Apple would just come out w/ the next obvious upgrade for their earbuds beofre I have to figure out the logistics of the bluetooth idea, since it's still just a temporary fix for what I'd really like.

    As for mobile learning? I think it benefits everyone but can foresee much resistance from current non-tech learning facilitators. I truly think we are on the brink of a tremendous shift regarding the delivery and process of education as we know it. I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy the convenience of moble devices but the tendency for too much dependence exists. I personally enjoy the technology and find it fascinating to wonder into this digital chasm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that children are integrating the technology in ways that we never imagined. Social networks are becoming more diverse and expansive. Connections on the other hand are becoming more phadic. Contact for the sake of contact with frequency determining depth of relationship. This is an interesting phenomenon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's another story on mobile learning:

    Getting More Out of Students' Cellphones

    This fall college students on 15 campuses have signed up to use Rave Wireless—a service that allows students to use their cellphones to view their grades, check the availability of study rooms, and see transportation and event schedules.

    The wireless service also doubles as a campus-safety tool. Students who walk home from the library at night can set their cellphones to contact campus police if they don't arrive by a certain time. A built-in GPS system then tracks the phone, and the student’s medical information and emergency contacts are automatically sent to the police.

    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have just moved to WebCT Vista dropping Campus Edition like a bad habit. Talk about a learning curve. But for my instructors, not my students. My students are ready for the experience. My management class will be downloading Harvard Business Review podcasts from iTunes as part of their learning. Many of them will be able to use their phones or car radios to listen to the podcast. I went to a training in Waco and my brother showed me Slevin on his iPod distributing the sound through the truck speakers.
    My two year old loves PBS online. She has learned several of her letters by click the mouse on the screen and watching the animation and listening to the sounds. My son is learning office at sixth grade and he's figured out the key sequences to open our Explorer. Six digits for each door, rear window, and rear door.
    Back to my point, my instructors face the biggest challenge and learning curve. I encourage them every day and remind them that technology has its moments of clarity and complete obscurity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am currently embracing mobile technology at my work place. Our students each have access to a laptop with wireless capabilities for school and home use. They are adapting very well to using them on a daily basis. If the trend continues on its current course, I think that our children will be just fine. We as adult are the one s that have to worry about being left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with the article, everywhere a person looks, there is some form of technology. There does not seem to be any social structure where technology is not seen. Children even have cell phones to keep in touch with there parents and friends. Some people even have cell phones to check email and even check the temperatures in their house. I believe that I am very ready for mobile learning, I consider myself technologically current. I believe the students are becoming more and more ready. These days children now learn about computers and technology in the early elementary years, when I remember only learning with them in high school. I believe that soon everyone will be current and have a basic understanding of different technology.

    Damon Ing

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess we are never really ready for any type of mobile learning. We sort of just have to go with the new digital era and learn as we go. For some adults this is the hardest part because some people don't feel secure enough to begin working with any new technology because of the fear of messing something up (personally speaking).

    As far as how ready are students for mobile learning, they are always ready for anything, specially anything having to do with NEW technology. I think that because of their young age and their self-confidence they feel more secure when trying out any new type of learning.

    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I am ready for mobile learning in fact I have been ready for quite some time. I have being using computers and other peripherals for the past twenty-two years of my life. I use a wireless laptop at home to access my online classes and I carry with me TREO 700 to access the company e-mail, the internet and to send text messages.

    I believe students and children are now being exposed to computers at a very early stage of their lives so computers and other digital devices are part of their normal routines. I also believe that it is too early to say if they going to use these devices for mobile learning but for sure they have the skill to do it.

    Nestor Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the Blackboard Backpack information. I downloaded the trial and will see how it works. It may be of benefit as I am being considered for the Director of Technology position at Marshall, and Marshall uses Blackboard. There is always concern over loss of connectivity, so we'll see how it plays out.

    I'm not sure I am big on mobile lessons via a cellphone or blackberry. I get eye strains every so often just using computer screens. I can't imagine how that would increase with trying to read off a 2 inch screen.

    Not opposed to advances in technology and willing to change. However, realize that change is the biggest fear people have and the one thing they are most likely to oppose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think my students are better prepared than I am at this time. They play with the phone and learn from each other about the use of their cell phones or maybe even PDAs. My seven year old uses my phone to call his father and likes to play games on his father's cell phone. He has also used my husband's PDA to play chess and other games. If we were to allow him to have it, I am sure he would become more savvy in its use and discover its features. I need to spend more time on a mobile learning device to take advantage of its beneficial use. I can see where students would rather use their cell phone to look up the meaning of a word than the dictionary. Using the cell phone as an open-phone test is a good idea. The focus would be on learning instead of memorization.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think that I am ready for mobile learing. I have a wireless laptop, cellphone, and I have a PDA; but, I think there are so many other things that could be used that I have not even tried. I don't use the e-mail option on my cell phone, don't chat, and don't send IM's.
    As for my classroom, my students have internet access using desktops, and we use internet tv. After taking a few classes, I started to use PP Presentations as lesssons in my classroom. However, I do feel I have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would think of myself as ready for mobile learning. As far as my children and students, they are probably more prepared and opened for mobile learning.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't think I was ready for mobile learning, but after reading the article there seems to be many opportunities and advantages to using cell phones and other mobile technology for learning. I think the biggest advantage is the portability of the cell phone. I definitely think today's students are ready for mobile learning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. "Over the past decade, mobile computing and communications devices have become essential tools in higher education and business environments. It is now routine for business travelers and educators to carry laptop computers, cell phones, and PDAs that allow them to access data and information from anywhere—whether in a conference room, classroom, or while on the move."

    While this statement may be true, note that it concerns itself with "educators", not those being educated. Of course, that is not to say that many of those being educated do not also find a need to carry a laptop, a cell phone or a PDA, but the handheld computing devices are not the ubiquitous devices that the article seems to be describing....or at least not here in Texas. Major School Districts all over the state allow students to bring the devices to school, but insist that they be turned off during regular class day (apparently this means no use in between classes as well). Penalties range from loss of the device to a fine.

    I did a Google search before writing this post to see what information exists on the net regarding Educational Cell Phone Use in Texas. Not too surprisingly, there was little definitive information. Instead, there were several things that struck me as I scrolled through several pages of results.

    First, it was interesting to see how many places are studying the use of cell phones as educational devices. This can probably be taken a number of different ways but for me, my first thought was that we are desperately seeking tools to re-inforce our current notions of how to teach. We have tried a lot of other things, but it just seems that most of them don't have the desired impact (personal opinion:putting our money where our mouth is, is probably the most likely to impact classroom test scores - the continued funding deficit in public education only re-inforces poor education).

    The next thing I noted was that most of the Texas school districts indicated, had banned the use of cell phones during regular classroom hours. In light of item one, this seems a bit strange. If the devices really have potential, why aren't we letting some schools experiment with them...woops, I forgot, we are in an educational democracy here. We can't let one school have something without giving it to all of them....and God forbid, we find someone to give every schoolchild in Texas a simple cell phone and school account (even though most phone plans will give you a free phone to use - we are probably holding out for one of those $100 laptops for each child instead). I didn't see anything about teachers or administrators being allowed to carry these illicit devices, though earlier entries in the EdTech blog comments, would lead me to belief that they are fairly ubiquitous.

    Another seemingly unrelated but serious issue was the use of cell phones in cars, being disruptive to driving activities. Hmmm. So the power of the cell phone is so great that it breaks our concentration and causes us to run into other autos. Or maybe on closer look, it has more to do with the dialing and answering process. Maybe audio and voice enhancement for all cell phones and screens large enough to see the print on, would make a difference. Keep in mind that my blog entry here (at least on my blog) is read aloud by a female voice without me activating anything after the original programming. Of course all those voices might distract drivers from listening to the drive time DJs, that radio pays so highly during those periods of high drive time. We had similar problems back when I was going to school in the 60's. Back then we called such distractions "daydreaming", and though most teachers banned such activity, they were not very successful (poor pedagogy leads to poor learning). Maybe if we turn this around, it might bring about a more profitable outcome. If cell phone can command such attention, then perhaps the best place to instruct would be over the cell phone. Of course, then we would have to ban driving while learning.


    Finally, my last observation had to do with the fact that there are all these devices and none are on the same wavelength. They all use exactly the same technology, but charge different prices at different times of the day for use on devices that only work in specific geographical areas. The manufacturer of almost any cell phone will tell you that by and large, any phone will do anything, any other phone will do (or at leas most can be programmed to do what the others do). The catch is, that when the benevolent cell phone provider gives you that cell phone for free, they also program the memory chip in the phone to restrict use to meet their personal policies. This enables them to make ever more money to help save a terribly failing hard land line infrastructure, that could be replaced by WiFi and cell phones. Or heck, maybe the line their pockets with the extra money.

    Whatever cell phones realities there are, this conversation has just begun, and it's ramifications will be with us far into the future. Already VOIP is looming on the horizon, and we have yet to get much of a handle on device usage in the classroom with limited capability cell phones. Not only that, but cell phones have become so ubiquitous in many societies, that we can hardly put them back in the box. And increasingly, we are finding lots of good reasons to have them in our pockets.

    If you are an instructor, you need to continously think about my first observation....the new cell phones are coming, and they are quite likely going to change the way we educate. They will be VOIP, multi-media, have more processing power, interact with PCs or laptops more readily and will be cheaper than ever. You can turn them off, but the kids will learn on them, whether you are involved in what they learn or not.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am ready for it! Bring it on! With technology moving at such a fast pace, we (ALL) had better be ready. I have been involved with technology,in one form or another, for very many years. The first computer I every worked with was one powered by an 8086 processor. Top that! Have wireless laptop computer and a cell phone.....will travel.

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm ready...I have to be in order to keep up with kids today. Their access to technology tools and mobile learning is evident on a daily basis and if we want to maintain engaged in their learning, we need to take part in it. It has transformed my daily life...I can't walk out without my cell phone...can't imagine not looking at my email...can't think of leaving my I-Pod at home.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I, too, am as mobile as you can get. My whole family is mobile. My students are mobile as well.

    ReplyDelete